This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
toxicavenger778
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:13 am

Quote :

Xbox Boss Defends Anti-Piracy Crackdown

8:50pm UK, Thursday November 12, 2009

Peter Hoskins and Hazel Tyldesley, Sky News Online
A top Xbox executive has told Sky News that he is "unapologetic" about his company's decision to bar as many as a million people from using Xbox Live.

Speaking on Jeff Randall Live, Xbox's chief executive for Europe Chris Lewis explained the thinking behind the policy.

"We are very committed to stamp out piracy. It's an issue not only for Xbox, it's an issue for the industry as a whole, it's an issue for Microsoft generally," he said.

"Clearly it's important for us to be able to stamp down on that to protect the 10 million people that are already on Xbox 360 in Europe for instance. So we take it very seriously."

Jeff Randall Live

In an interview with Sky's Anna Jones, Mr Lewis went on to defend the move.

"If it's clear someone is downloading pirated copies or have modified their Xbox in some way that will allow them to download games that they haven't purchased legitimately and yes we lock that account down and we're unapologetic about that," he said.

His comments came after parent company Microsoft blocked the consoles because their owners had modified the equipment to play games they had not paid for.

Those affected will have to buy new machines if they want to connect to Xbox Live, which allows them to compete with other gamers online.

Since the blocking began, so-called 'modded' consoles have flooded sites like eBay and Craigslist at knocked-down prices.

180 xbox 360 games technology

Up to 1m Xboxes are blocked

Buyers will still be able to play games on them offline, but Microsoft warns the warranty on them is invalid and they can not be connected to Xbox Live.

Users of the web service, which allows the 20 million gamers signed up to compete against each other via the web, appeared split over Microsoft's move.

"I applaud Microsoft for what they have done. Cheaters and exploiters are criminals in my book, and should be banned whenever discovered," wrote one Xbox user on a web forum.

However, another took the view: "Pirating is not ok, but neither is the invasion of privacy. If Microsoft can get in your home network and find out what you have on the xbox what is to stop them from finding out what else you have on your network?"

Other users expressed concerns that people who hadn't tried to modify their Xbox, but instead had a genuine fault, could be hit by the ban.

Microsoft would not say exactly how many customers were affected although reports suggested the number could be as high as one million.

Its crackdown came as Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, a video game destined for huge Xbox success, broke sales records as it hit shelves in the UK.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/Business/A-Top-Xbox-Exec-Has-Defended-The-Decision-To-Bar-As-many-As-A-Million-People-From-Using-Xbox-Live/Article/200911215452368?lpos=Business_First_Technology_Article_Teaser_Region__0&lid=ARTICLE_15452368_A_Top_Xbox_Exec_Has_Defended_The_Decision_To_Bar_As_many_As_A_Million_People_From_Using_Xbox_Live

I agree with them.If you pirate games you can expect to pay a heavy price.People are lucky that at the most they end up with is a live ban.

Last edited by ToxicAvenger778 on Fri Nov 13, 2009 5:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/ToxicAvenger778
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:07 pm

Fuck'em. Its there own fault for modding there xbox. Cheap skates!
Back to top Go down
Blixtstorm
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:17 pm

i personally dont think its wrong with piracy in some cases, i even got a "chipped" old xbox, i have alot of bought games for it aswell..
I think that piracy is a good thing in some cases, if i download a thing and like it, ill probably end up buying it for example Assassins Creed, bought it twice... After i downloaded it.

The thing that's wrong with piracy is to exploit peoples income, and thats why i use commercial based things to not have to pay, for example: Spotify and Voddler.

The thing microsoft made is wrong, they've ended up with alot of unhappy customers. They should require a serial code, as they do with computers (even if hackers know how to bypass it).
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Blixtstorm
VERY NICE
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 1:22 pm

For some reason my friend's 360 couldn't play KOTOR, so he pirated it. The pirated version worked. In the end he only had one working KOTOR game and he paid for the one that doesn't work. He didn't return it either. That's a fair case, right? I think.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 4:41 pm

because of this i currently have a brand new xbox arcade console....
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:42 pm

Why should MS be sorry? Pirates are low life thieves who steal from developers and destroy the industry. These bottom feeders should actually be prosecuted.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 7:08 pm

There is only one reason you would mod your Xbox 360. You pirate games.

That's illegal and you should be banned.

You get what you deserve.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
toxicavenger778
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 8:36 pm

I think theTruthSettingufree is one step away from being a pirate.I have no problem with people renting games every now and then but for someone to rent ALL of their games as he does is completely ridiculous and a spit in the face to game developers.I mean just look at this Uncharted 2 easily the biggest game for PS3 in a hell of a long time and this guy rents the fucking game wtf and hes actually proud of it lol?

Back to top Go down
Darkfenix
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:01 pm

ToxicAvenger778 wrote:
I think theTruthSettingufree is one step away from being a pirate.I have no problem with people renting games every now and then but for someone to rent ALL of their games as he does is completely ridiculous and a spit in the face to game developers.I mean just look at this Uncharted 2 easily the biggest game for PS3 in a hell of a long time and this guy rents the fucking game wtf and hes actually proud of it lol?

so you're saying all Netflix users are pirates too?

i dont see an issue with renting something to see if its a quality product. but there are some games that dont need to be rented because you already know its a quality product before its even launched.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:08 pm

I think anything illegle(including pirating)is horrible.if you get banned you deserve it.
Back to top Go down
toxicavenger778
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:28 pm

Darkfenix wrote:
ToxicAvenger778 wrote:

so you're saying all Netflix users are pirates too?

i dont see an issue with renting something to see if its a quality product. but there are some games that dont need to be rented because you already know its a quality product before its even launched.

He rents all his games regardless of whether its the biggest game of the year or the biggest piece of shit game.The guy has no game collection.Hes been called out on this many times before.Every game he rents
Id like you to point me to where i say all Netflix users are pirates
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Tue Dec 15, 2009 1:57 am

Piracy is bad m'kay.
Back to top Go down
cannibalshinobi

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:47 am

Arbiteris wrote:
I think anything illegle(including pirating)is horrible.if you get banned you deserve it.

o well, its not stopping us from pirating games, just not allowing us to play with people who actually bought it.
Back to top Go down
Mr. Project Natal
Force Master Chief Petty Officer
Force Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:10 pm

Never saw an official problem with pirating games and thats because I never heard of it...I heard of pirating movies (and i may have a few... Shocked but never games...where can i get them?

lol!

....just kidding Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Natal360VsPS3Wands
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:49 pm

GOOD, Pirating = ILLEGAL. Good for those fucktards.
Back to top Go down
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:10 pm

Blixtstorm wrote:
i personally dont think its wrong with piracy in some cases, i even got a "chipped" old xbox, i have alot of bought games for it aswell..
I think that piracy is a good thing in some cases, if i download a thing and like it, ill probably end up buying it for example Assassins Creed, bought it twice... After i downloaded it.

The thing that's wrong with piracy is to exploit peoples income, and thats why i use commercial based things to not have to pay, for example: Spotify and Voddler.

The thing microsoft made is wrong, they've ended up with alot of unhappy customers. They should require a serial code, as they do with computers (even if hackers know how to bypass it).
agreeing with blix
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it   

Back to top Go down

MS: We're not sorry about banning pirates, they deserve it
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1