This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:37 pm

So it is possible for Gears of War to go multi-platform.

http://www.gamesthirst.com/2010/03/14/sony-bought-media-molecule-microsoft-should-buy-epic-games/

In recent news, we learnt that Media Molecule, the once independent studio and developer of LittleBigPlanet, was acquired by Sony for an undisclosed amount. Many hailed the move as a great one by Sony, because now the only Platforms we’ll ever play said title and the others the studio will undoubtedly forge will be Sony’s.

The giant already owns more than triple the amount of first party studios than Microsoft, it’s closest competitor and with Media Molecule bagged, Sony will only continue to widen its lead over Redmond.

As mentioned, Microsoft does not own many first party development studios, it relies heavily on third parties, cutting deals with them to either make a title exclusive, or bring content first to the Xbox 360 to make its users happy. But how long will the software giant keep spending cash to buy exclusives and exclusive content? A better strategy must be devised.

The best one? Start acquiring first party studios to bolster its ailing lineup. The first buy should be Epic Games; yes Mark Rein and the gang.

It’s a no-brainer really, Gears of War has been one of the most successful franchises on Xbox 360. In fact it’s the second most successful exclusive on said system after the Halo franchise. Why is Epic Games still independent? The studio has admitted it wouldn’t be able to promote its games properly without the help of Microsoft. Recently, Epic Games president, Mike Capps, told Gamasutra that, “there are some really difficult financial situations in this industry,” and “You can make a game like Shadow Complex, be a 10- to 12-man team for a year, get to be a best-selling game on [Xbox Live Arcade], and then still have money be tight.”

He also said Microsoft has been a good partner of theirs for a long time, why? Well “somebody’s got to put up a billboard in Hong Kong, and it’s not going to be me,” Capps said.

Why be just a partner and risk the possibility of one of the franchises that adds value to your console going multiplatform? That’s too risky. PS3 fans would love to give GeOW3 a run on their Black behemoth and Sony would love nothing better but to announce that said title will be gracing its system.

By now you guys should know that Gears of War 3 is under development, Epic’s latest unreal engine was demonstrated at GDC with some amazing visuals on display. Many now believe the best selling game will head over to PS3.

The other big question is whether Epic Games wants to be bought out by any company at all. The firm doesn’t only develop games, its unreal engine business is worth hundreds of millions, therefore MS must take all these different aspects into consideration before it can make a move. However citing what Capps said, it could be only a matter of time until things get too rough forcing them to change their minds.

And if that happens, we all know who’ll be the first in line making its bidding; if I were in control though, I’d make a move right away, you never know what Sony has cooking in its pot.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Also

Why did he have a need to bring this up I wonder?

http://www.vg247.com/2010/03/15/rein-epic-owns-gears-ip-can-do-what-we-want-with-it/

Epic’s Mark Rein has said that the developer owns the Gears of War IP, and can do with it what it pleases.

Speaking with VG247 at GDC last week, we asked Rein to clarify for some of the more paranoid out there, whether or not Microsoft had some nefarious hand in the developer’s cookie jar.

Turns out, that’s not the case as some mistakenly believe. Epic can, and do choose whatever publisher it wishes for the games it creates.

“We own Gears of War. We can do what we want with it,” Rein told us. “We have a great relationship with Microsoft, and they helped turn the game into a huge success for us, and we are pretty happy with the way things are going”.

This backs up a comment Rein made on our site back in January, when analyst Michael Pachter offered the opinion that Epic “regretted” making the Gears series exclusive to Xbox 360.

Further proof that Epic works with publishers other than Microsoft, is the People Can Fly shooter rumored as Bulletstorm, which is being published by EA.

“I mean we have a game with EA, and while we haven’t announced it yet, and soon we will be able to talk more about it.”

Hopefully, it will be announced at E3, which Rein says will be exciting for the developer.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:16 pm

Epic Games is a huge developer and it will be very hard and very costly to buy them. But if they do, it will be absolute domination for the XBOX 360.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 4:18 pm

Not going to happen.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:29 pm

Epic is a big developer. However if anyone is worried that Gears of War will go multiplat do not fear. I think I heard that MS owned Gears of War.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
Mr. Project Natal
Force Master Chief Petty Officer
Force Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm

I don't want the next unreal tournament to go to the ps3! UT3 was a kickass game that would have gave us even more to brag about. I have not played gears but hey look VERY similar.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Natal360VsPS3Wands
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:39 pm

Kendo wrote:
Epic is a big developer. However if anyone is worried that Gears of War will go multiplat do not fear. I think I heard that MS owned Gears of War.

You obviously did'nt read all of it. Epic own Gears, no one else.
Back to top Go down
Kendo
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:28 pm

xSTONEYx187x wrote:
Kendo wrote:

You obviously did'nt read all of it. Epic own Gears, no one else.
I see. Well then MS needs to buy Epic... and quickly.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/Inuboy1000
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 pm

Not going to happen.

MS and Epic have a contract about this.

It even say's in the Gears 2 Collector's edition artbook.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Not going to happen.

what page? also i wouldn't worry at all,MS will make sure gears is xbox only.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
HellJumper wrote:
Not going to happen.

what page? also i wouldn't worry at all,MS will make sure gears is xbox only.

Dont know.Im pretty sure it's somehwere in there.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:10 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_War_%28series%29

MS publishes Gears of War games. They have a contractual agreement. Epic will no sooner release Gears of War on PS3 then Insomniac will release Resistance on Xbox 360.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:28 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

MS publishes Gears of War games. They have a contractual agreement. Epic will no sooner release Gears of War on PS3 then Insomniac will release Resistance on Xbox 360.

Microsoft also published ninja gaiden 2 and that went multiplatform.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:47 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

Yes,but Epic and MS have a contract
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:58 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

Yes,but Epic and MS have a contract

where is the proof?
Back to top Go down
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:26 am

I personally do not see Gears 1 or 2 going to the PS3.

In theory the 3rd could go to the PS3 but is unlikely also. MS will do their best to secure these titles.
Back to top Go down
Gibbon_Master
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Gears of War 3 not exclusive to Xbox   Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:24 am

Gears of War 3 might go Multiplat, please see article and link below. If true PS3 fanboys are going to cream themselves with excitement. What's everyones take on this? I think MS need to start buying some of these developers to keep all there title Exclusive, just look at the number of developers Sony owns and in the future all 3rd party developers will go multiplat as they want to reach the widest audience possible to the the greatest income.

Although the first two games in the series have been faithful to Xbox 360, there's a chance Epic Games could play the field with future instalments of Gears of War.

Epic vice president Mark Rein told VG247 that his company - not Microsoft - has control over the Gears of War franchise.
"We own Gears of War. We can do what we want with it." Yes, it's your party and you can cry if you want to.
Rumblings of a multi-platform Gears of War 3 have been felt for sometime, though Rein wouldn't discuss specifics about the franchise's future. Additionally, the recent work done to tailor Unreal Engine 3 to iPhone and soon iPad could point to the series hitting those portables in some fashion.

Gears of War 3 Not Exclusive to Xbox

Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 5:28 am

The chances of Gears 3 going to PS3 is pretty low. Apparently Microsoft have contractual agreements with Epic over Gears and I really don't think Microsoft would let go of it that easily since it is one of XBOX 360's big franchises.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:43 am

Gibbon_Master wrote:
Gears of War 3 might go Multiplat, please see article and link below. If true PS3 fanboys are going to cream themselves with excitement. What's everyones take on this? I think MS need to start buying some of these developers to keep all there title Exclusive, just look at the number of developers Sony owns and in the future all 3rd party developers will go multiplat as they want to reach the widest audience possible to the the greatest income.

Although the first two games in the series have been faithful to Xbox 360, there's a chance Epic Games could play the field with future instalments of Gears of War.

Epic vice president Mark Rein told VG247 that his company - not Microsoft - has control over the Gears of War franchise.
"We own Gears of War. We can do what we want with it." Yes, it's your party and you can cry if you want to.
Rumblings of a multi-platform Gears of War 3 have been felt for sometime, though Rein wouldn't discuss specifics about the franchise's future. Additionally, the recent work done to tailor Unreal Engine 3 to iPhone and soon iPad could point to the series hitting those portables in some fashion.

Gears of War 3 Not Exclusive to Xbox.

In the article,it also say's that Epic love's how MS did a great job of marketing Gears o War 1 and 2.

They wont go to PS3 for more money because PS3 games dont sell as well and Blu Ray is hard to develope for and would cost them more trouble than good.

Plus Gears 3 WILL be exclusive.MS and Epic have a contract about this.

Last edited by HellJumper on Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:30 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:12 am

What Mark Rein said in all its context was;

Quote :
We own Gears of War. We can do what we want with it

Now if we stopped here we could go doom and gloom and the stealth zealots would think they achieved something...

What the reality (yet again is) Mark Rein continued by saying;

Quote :
We have a great relationship with Microsoft, and they helped turn the game into a huge success for us, and we are pretty happy with the way things are going

Don't sound like doom and gloom anymore does it? Wink

Source
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 10:43 am

Microsoft at least needs to buy out the rights to the Gears of War franchise with a deal that Epic develops the games, but to the point if Epic decides to stop making GeOW games, that MSGS can start to.
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:22 pm

No. MS is actually the smartest one here.

Cutting deals with 3rd party devs saves money, cause MS doesnt have to pay their salaries.

Spending a fraction of $ to bribe > buying the developer.

X Cellence 4 Life.
Back to top Go down
http://xboxrepublic.top-forum.net
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:44 pm

Too damn big. I mean its fucking EPIC Games. The licensing of Unreal makes them almost capable of taking baths with money.
Only the main nerdy guy...what is name...? I know its a funny name..oh thats right..Tim Sweeney (Tks wiki). That guy has like a shitload of Ferraris and exotic cars.

If M$ is to buy a studio, Remedy will be the best bet. They're gaming engine is always cutting edge and they're games are always GOTY candidates
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:14 pm

i hope not exclusives>multiplatform look at me2 halo god of war ect.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   Tue Mar 16, 2010 9:29 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:
No. MS is actually the smartest one here.

Cutting deals with 3rd party devs saves money, cause MS doesnt have to pay their salaries.

Spending a fraction of $ to bribe > buying the developer.

True, but I'd still like to see them have more internal studios churn out high quality games as often as possible.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else   

Back to top Go down

Microsoft should purchase Epic....or else
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 5Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next