This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
ZaFtxX
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:13 am

with all these rumors going around im gonna say its most likely happening.
here is a supposed pic from china.

Quote :

These pictures apparently show the guts of a new model of the Xbox 360. The important bits? The fact that for the first time the console combines the CPU and the GPU in a single chip. Oh, and it's small.

Now, before we go any further, know the image up top comes from a Chinese messageboard. Yeah. The reason we're looking a little more closely at this than we normally would is that Intel is currently in the process of rolling out consumer-level combined CPU/GPU chips. Like, right now. And Intel handle the Xbox 360's chipset.

These new chips are codenamed Clarkdale, and are 32nm, which would present a significant reduction in both power usage and in the amount of heat generated by the console. On the left here is what they look like underneath.

Making things juicier is word from the same source that this reduction is part of a redesign for the Xbox 360 console, testing of which has recently been completed in China. Think the PS3 Slim, only...for an Xbox 360.

Now, there's every reason to be skeptical of the images, and the info. Then again, with Natal due later this year, rebooting the 360 itself to go along with it would make a lot of sense, especially if a reduction in size could come with a reduction in cost.

via kotaku
http://kotaku.com/5495181/rumor-new-xbox-360-model-slims-down

side note: MS isnt taking any chances look at the fan size lol
Back to top Go down
Jamin
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:51 am

This would be real only if they took out hardware features from the original Xbox360. Little stuff like the memory card ports, I mean.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:55 am

Jamin wrote:
This would be real only if they took out hardware features from the original Xbox360. Little stuff like the memory card ports, I mean.

Those could be attached to the front and plugged into the motherboard. I'll be interested to know if it will have an external HD or if it will be like the PS3's. Either way the better have a way to transfer data from one to the other so upgraders don't have to re-download everything.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
ZaFtxX
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:07 am

if this is real, i highly doubt current Hard drive can be attached, it will probably be a smaller enclosure. I see MS giving away transfer cables like they did when the elite first came out.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 6:55 am

Looks very genuine. Another reason why the 360 will dominate 2010.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:43 am

Thats a big fan!
Back to top Go down
360WNED
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:28 am

Damn, I was going to pick up the SC special edition... I guess I'll wait a few more months & wait for E3 now Sad. I hope it is true though.
Back to top Go down
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:31 am

I'm buying within first month of release (if true)!
Back to top Go down
GeneralMLD
Five Star General (Admin)
Five Star General (Admin)

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:10 am

32nm???!!!! God thats small. The jasper chipset is 65 nm.

Guys........its very logical to say that they are gonna have a 360 slim launch with natal to truly give 360 a new image.

With cost cutting comes price drops to make natal a better buy for the casuals.

I smell a $99 or $129 Xbox Arcade Smile

X Cellence 4 Life.
Back to top Go down
http://xboxrepublic.top-forum.net
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:18 am

Natal will make MS a killing December 2010.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:23 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:

Guys........its very logical to say that they are gonna have a 360 slim launch with natal to truly give 360 a new image.

That would destroy PS3 sales. Sony can't drop that low, they still lose money on each Slime sold as it is.
Back to top Go down
ZaFtxX
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

it also looks like ms is phasing out the arcade. a new slim sku at $200 w/120gb HDD would give a big boost.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:32 pm

I guarantee you a slim won't happen. This is just the usual new chipset a company makes so it produces less heat. They don't need a slim, they just need to cut the price and that is what will happen this fall.
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:43 pm

GeneralMLD wrote:

At that low the casuals would see 360 has both hardcore and casual games and is only $129 (w/ 512MB flash built-in which is exactly like the Nintendo Wii), and for $70 cheaper than a Wii, the casuals will flock.......and add Halo Reach, Fable 3 & Natal near holiday time, and a redesign (slim) 360 console would = un-parallelled, seriously if Microosft does that and then keeps 2011 going with a good flow of games and have Gears of War 3 in Early 2011.....IF MICROSOFT DID ALL OF THAT, I HONESTLY FEEL THE 360 WOULD DISTANCE ITSELF SO FAR FROM THE PS3 THAT SONY COULD NOT CATCH UP, AND THAT BY THE END OF THIS GEN THE 360 COULD EVENTUALLY PASS THE WII (WITHIN THE NEXT 5 YEARS).
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:47 pm

It would be awesome if they released the slim.As long as it's awesome like the fat 360's
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:14 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
I guarantee you a slim won't happen. This is just the usual new chipset a company makes so it produces less heat. They don't need a slim, they just need to cut the price and that is what will happen this fall.

I don't think you should be so sure of that. MS wants to launch Natal as big as if it were a new console. A slim Xbox 360 would be the common sense way to do that.

The Xbox 360 will be 5 years old this fall. MS doesn't "Need" a slim, but it to really punish Sony and put them on track to really compete with the Wii a slim will be a big help.

I think it's more likely then not and I'd almost be willing to go on record as saying it's definite, but a few pictures isn't enough to stake a reputation on. What little I have here.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:25 pm

We'll see,i don't see it happening. Pus we are not too far away from the next console so i think it's pointless.
Back to top Go down
Jamin

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:34 pm

Back to top Go down
ZaFtxX
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:35 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
We'll see,i don't see it happening. Pus we are not too far away from the next console so i think it's pointless.
this gen of consoles has way longer legs then before. I don't see a new xbox until atleast late 2013.

Last edited by ZaFtxX on Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
ZaFtxX
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:36 pm

Jamin wrote:
http://www.thelostgamer.com/2010/03/17/xbox-360-slim-rumours-untrue/
that's already been debunked no one knows if it's true but beyond 3d say it looks like it is true.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:39 pm

In 2 years they can be showing the next console though. plsu ms already said they don't want to do it.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:46 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:
In 2 years they can be showing the next console though. plsu ms already said they don't want to do it.

Sony lied about the PS3 Slim the whole time they were working on it, even as pictures and advertising leaked. MS has to keep it secret or they risk people waiting and not buying the current stock of 360s.
Back to top Go down
Spartan v07

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:59 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
Spartan v07 wrote:

Sony lied about the PS3 Slim the whole time they were working on it, even as pictures and advertising leaked. MS has to keep it secret or they risk people waiting and not buying the current stock of 360s.

Yea but the ps3 slim had actual pics of the product.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 4:51 pm

Digital Foundry thinks it's legit.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-xbox-360-slim-blog-entry

Quote :
Leaked photos have emerged purporting to show a new, smaller revision of the Xbox 360 motherboard, provoking speculation that Microsoft is set to relaunch its console later in the year. Xbox 360 Slim any one?

Similar to the PS3 Slim leaks last year, the pictures emanate from an obscure Chinese message board, and the shots of the motherboard certainly look genuine, with enough of the original 360 components in view to suggest authenticity. They also display several new, original features, plus of course a smaller form factor.

By comparing parts common to the current model, it appears that this most fundamental of components is over a third smaller in size than the Jasper revision 360 board.

Two shots have been revealed so far. The first is a top-down view of the board itself, suggesting a smaller, squarer layout topped off with a conspicuously off-the-shelf Coolermaster fan. The second shot sees the leaker removing the cooling assembly to reveal what appears to be an integrated Xenon and Xenos CPU/GPU combination package, which ties in nicely with the so-called Valhalla revision of the 360 first mentioned a couple of years back and also believed to be based on a single combined processor set-up.

While the single heatspreader underneath the cooling assembly strongly suggests a unified design for the core hardware, the leaker hasn't had the courage to remove it completely and expose the dies below, which would settle the issue completely and would also allow us to ascertain whether Microsoft is using a 45nm or even smaller fabrication process for the unified chip.

Smaller parts mean a cooler, more power-efficient, cheaper-to-manufacture system and even the current, apparently reliable 360 is still running a 65nm process for both chips. The PS3 Slim in contrast runs at 45nm for the CPU and 65nm for the RSX, and a single package within the 360 would allow Microsoft to pursue an even more aggressive price-cutting strategy if it needed to do so.

What is interesting is that the board has doubled the number of SATA connections to two over on the top-left of the first picture. In current 360 hardware, only one is used for connecting up the internal DVD-ROM drive.

This could mean that Microsoft is planning support for internal drives, but bearing in mind the success of its Arcade SKU, it is unlikely that the firm would commit to HDD-integrated machines: laptop drives don't generally get cheaper, they just get bigger in terms of storage, and for Microsoft to surrender one of the factors behind its price advantage is unlikely. It's more probable that the drives will come in new Slim-friendly caddies.

Another curious change appears to be the complete omission of any mounting holes for the DVD drive, which clearly sits to the left of the fan. Either a variant of the existing DVD drive attaches to the case in a different way, or else an entirely different assembly is used. Assuming the costs work out, we could even be getting a thin, slot-loading drive similar to the PlayStation 3.

The location of the optical drive itself is a big improvement over the existing Xbox 360 design, which places the DVD-ROM directly above both CPU and GPU, further complicating the cooling of the hottest parts of the console. The cooling setup doesn't really tell us much. The Coolermaster fan would be way too large for a production console, plus you'll note that the fan itself is only secured in one place to the heatsink below.

There's nothing on the board that suggests any kind of onboard Natal, meaning that the new 360 still requires a decent array of USB ports, though it looks as though the MU readers have been cut down to just a single slot.

In part understandable but at the same time rather disappointing is the omission of any kind of Wi-Fi chipset on the motherboard, so it does seem as though extortionately expensive wireless internet dongles will remain the standard if the pics are valid.

On the bright side, however, the just-as-stupidly expensive audio dongle appears to be a thing of the past, with what looks very much like a Toslink SPDIF optical output directly above the fan to the left, next to what we can assume is the current Xbox 360 AV port, with HDMI output to the left of that.

Other than that, no surprises, though we can assume that the top-right socket is for the power supply, which will almost certainly remain external in contrast to the neat internal PSU in the PS3 Slim.

Comedy cooling fan aside, there's nothing here to suggest that this isn't the real deal. It's just too well-designed to be a fake and in a world where PS3 Slims turn up months in advance on in a Philippines marketplace, leaked pics surfacing on a Chinese forum are eminently plausible.

Even if it's not a 360 Slim, the radical change in form factor and mounting holes means that this revision of motherboard cannot physically fit inside the current shell and certainly not with the current DVD drive.

A 360 relaunch for Natal then? Microsoft has already issued its obligatory "we don't comment on rumour and speculation" line.
Back to top Go down
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:38 pm

Spartan v07 wrote:

I see it totally happening, because this will not only be cheaper in retail outlets but cheaper to actually make for MS. All the more reason to go ahead with it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB   

Back to top Go down

New leaked picture of the Slim xbox 360 MB
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next