This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Do reviews really matter to you?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
ZeInFormer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:57 am

They don't to me. If I find a game that looks interesting, I'll buy it, but still I will research for any flaws or drawbacks that the game has. There are games where I have a different visions than the critics and sometimes I have similar. For example, Wolfenstein has like a low 70 and i would rate the game around a high 80. I enjoyed Halo 3 a lot and I would give it around a low 90 and I think 94 is the avg for metacritic. Express your opinion.
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:02 am

Not really, it just nice to know what a game got but it will rarely affect my decision to buy a game. Halo Wars got 6.0 but it still didn't change my decision to buy it and I ended up loving the game.
Back to top Go down
DarkSwarm85
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:06 am

I use them to understand what a game is all about. And try out the demo if available.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:17 am

They matter when I want to see how good a game is and find out information about the drawbacks so I can make a better informed decision of if I should buy it or not.

And of course, the overall critic score usually gives an accurate representation of how good the game is.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
jaykay
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:38 am

I like to read reviews, not just scores, but it's ultimately my interest in the game that gets me to buy it. Halo 3: ODST got pretty good reviews and I hated that game, the same goes for Modern Warfare 2. White Knight Chronicles received mediocre reviews, and I found that game to be pretty good.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 9:10 am

Reviews are a good scource of info.They will tell you the cons and pros of the game.They will also give you reasons for the score they give.

Some reviewers do suck though.Like the gamespot Halo Wars review.Halo Wars got all of these AA scores while gamespot gives it a 6....
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:46 am

I ALWAYS read reviews before I buy a game. They're too expensive to not do a little research beforehand.
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Tue Apr 06, 2010 5:25 pm

HellJumper wrote:
Reviews are a good scource of info.They will tell you the cons and pros of the game.They will also give you reasons for the score they give.

Some reviewers do suck though.Like the gamespot Halo Wars review.Halo Wars got all of these AA scores while gamespot gives it a 6....
I hate Destructoid and Edge. They're really awful reviewers in my opinion. I usually look at NooBTooB reviews and GameInformer reviews.
Back to top Go down
the RPG guy
Chief Petty Officer
Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:06 am

if i didnt look at reviews i would have ended up buying the first red steel....*shudder*
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/user/gameboy100894

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:50 pm

I never trust the reviewer, just my own opinion.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:55 pm

jaykay wrote:
HellJumper wrote:

I hate Destructoid and Edge. They're really awful reviewers in my opinion. I usually look at NooBTooB reviews and GameInformer reviews.

I hate GameInformer and IGN. Gameinformer gave BlazBlue a 7.75 and No More Heroes a 6 because it was too violent! And IGN are so ps3-biased it's ,like, not even funny.

But srsly reviews give you a good idea if the game you're gonna get is at least decent or the worst piece of feces ever developed.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:04 pm

IGN are the best imo. Also these guys do great reviews

http://www.teletext.co.uk/gamecentral/
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:08 pm

Pickles wrote:
jaykay wrote:
HellJumper wrote:

I hate GameInformer and IGN. Gameinformer gave BlazBlue a 7.75 and No More Heroes a 6 because it was too violent! And IGN are so ps3-biased it's ,like, not even funny.

But srsly reviews give you a good idea if the game you're gonna get is at least decent or the worst piece of feces ever developed.
PS3 gamers see IGN as biased in favor of the 360. Just sayin'.

I absolutely hate GameSpot ever since their Kane and Lynch review.
Back to top Go down
Invincible

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:16 pm

IGN pissed me off when they gave New Super Mario Bros. Wii a 8.9 and yet the DS version got a 9.5. The Wii version is superior on all levels! Even IGN AU gave it a 9.2 and they score almost everything lower then the US and UK staff. They bitched and cried because it didn't have an online mode. But they didn't care when a game like inFamous only has single player.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:11 am

no just no
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:22 am

Invincible wrote:
IGN pissed me off when they gave New Super Mario Bros. Wii a 8.9 and yet the DS version got a 9.5. The Wii version is superior on all levels! Even IGN AU gave it a 9.2 and they score almost everything lower then the US and UK staff. They bitched and cried because it didn't have an online mode. But they didn't care when a game like inFamous only has single player.
I had that problem with G4 and their reviews of Fairytale Fights and Halo 3: ODST. For Fairytale Fights, they said, "Should have been downloadable, not worth $60", and for Halo 3: ODST, they said "some might balk at the cost". But of course it's Halo, so it's always worth the money, right? >.<
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:37 am

jaykay wrote:
Invincible wrote:
I had that problem with G4 and their reviews of Fairytale Fights and Halo 3: ODST. For Fairytale Fights, they said, "Should have been downloadable, not worth $60", and for Halo 3: ODST, they said "some might balk at the cost". But of course it's Halo, so it's always worth the money, right? >.<
alot more worth it than god of war
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:19 am

arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
Invincible wrote:
I disagree. You get two AAA titles, remastered beautifully, for the low price of $40. Meanwhile with Halo 3: ODLC, you have a short campaign (which is shit IMO), a survival mode without matchmaking, and the Halo 3 multiplayer for the price of $60. I'm rebuying the same exact multiplayer.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:23 am

jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
Invincible wrote:
I disagree. You get two AAA titles, remastered beautifully, for the low price of $40. Meanwhile with Halo 3: ODLC, you have a short campaign (which is shit IMO), a survival mode without matchmaking, and the Halo 3 multiplayer for the price of $60. I'm rebuying the same exact multiplayer.

ODST was definitely worth the money. If you didnt buy Halo 3 maps then its definitely worth it.It also has the Halo Reach beta, remember people paid $60 for Crackdown just to play the Halo 3 beta so access to the Reach beta is worth something.
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:32 am

ghost23 wrote:
jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
Invincible wrote:

ODST was definitely worth the money. If you didnt buy Halo 3 maps then its definitely worth it.It also has the Halo Reach beta, remember people paid $60 for Crackdown just to play the Halo 3 beta so access to the Reach beta is worth something.
I had the Halo 3 maps so I felt ripped off. Yes, the beta is worth something, but not $60. If I could get it separately I would. Besides, the people who bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta were pleasantly surprised to find that Crackdown was worth the money alone. ODLC was not, for me at least.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:39 pm

I read reviews, but scores mean nothing to me. I mean IGN gave MW2 a higher score then BFBC2, and some people might agree but to many sites *cough* IGN *cough* think along the lines of "if it isn't call of duty or halo it gets a low score."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:42 pm

jaykay wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
Invincible wrote:

I had the Halo 3 maps so I felt ripped off. Yes, the beta is worth something, but not $60. If I could get it separately I would. Besides, the people who bought Crackdown for the Halo 3 beta were pleasantly surprised to find that Crackdown was worth the money alone. ODLC was not, for me at least.

I had a lot of the same problems with ODST, if it would have had matchmaking for fire fight then I would have happily paid for it. But I got it from a friend for free so I don't have much of an arguement. And I mean COME ON! You cannot go wrong with action sack playlist Very Happy lmao
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do reviews really matter to you?   

Back to top Go down

Do reviews really matter to you?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1