This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
jaykay
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:25 am

arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Blue ray is a gimmick, when you put a regular dvd into a blueray player it gets upscaled. Sure blueray looks a little better, but it isn't too much of a visual improvement. It's like 30% blueray disk and 70% blueray player. It's not the format, but the hardware that determines the visuals.

I mean look at PC games, they have better graphics than the PS3, yet they use regular dvds.

MS will probably use whatever format the PC uses and have the next xbox have similar architecture again, but it will probably have really powerful hardware, meanwhile Sony will probably try to use a new format like they always do.

My guess is that the next Xbox will probably use a lesser format than the next playstation, but have vastly powerful hardware.

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.
The Xbox IS using the same format as the PC as far as I know: DVD-9. And I don't think there's a single PC game that looks as good as certain PS3 games. The PC's graphics juggernaut is Crysis, and Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War III destroy it graphically.

My point is, Blu Ray can really do amazing things, and Microsoft would be stupid not to use it in their next line of consoles.
lol wut?
I'm saying that Blu Ray is not a gimmick, that Microsoft would be stupid not to use it down the line, and that the king of graphics, Crysis, has been overthrown by numerous PS3 exclusives.
so youve played crysis high on everything?
No, but I've seen it, and I can tell you that the games I mentioned before (U2, GT5, KZ2, GOW3) all look better in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:28 am

jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:
Blue ray is a gimmick, when you put a regular dvd into a blueray player it gets upscaled. Sure blueray looks a little better, but it isn't too much of a visual improvement. It's like 30% blueray disk and 70% blueray player. It's not the format, but the hardware that determines the visuals.

I mean look at PC games, they have better graphics than the PS3, yet they use regular dvds.

MS will probably use whatever format the PC uses and have the next xbox have similar architecture again, but it will probably have really powerful hardware, meanwhile Sony will probably try to use a new format like they always do.

My guess is that the next Xbox will probably use a lesser format than the next playstation, but have vastly powerful hardware.

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.
The Xbox IS using the same format as the PC as far as I know: DVD-9. And I don't think there's a single PC game that looks as good as certain PS3 games. The PC's graphics juggernaut is Crysis, and Uncharted 2, Killzone 2, Gran Turismo 5, and God of War III destroy it graphically.

My point is, Blu Ray can really do amazing things, and Microsoft would be stupid not to use it in their next line of consoles.
lol wut?
I'm saying that Blu Ray is not a gimmick, that Microsoft would be stupid not to use it down the line, and that the king of graphics, Crysis, has been overthrown by numerous PS3 exclusives.
so youve played crysis high on everything?
No, but I've seen it, and I can tell you that the games I mentioned before (U2, GT5, KZ2, GOW3) all look better in my opinion.
ok well my opinion of your opinion is that your opinion is flat out retarded also seeing it on youtube or whatever is different than actually playing a game
Back to top Go down
ghost23
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:59 am

jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Dude, theres no game in the world right now that can touch Crysis in terms of graphics and it was released in 2007. I highly recommend that you go see Crysis for yourself on max settings, highest resolution and 16x anti-alising. Those PS3 games cannot even get close.
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 6:13 am

ghost23 wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

Dude, theres no game in the world right now that can touch Crysis in terms of graphics and it was released in 2007. I highly recommend that you go see Crysis for yourself on max settings, highest resolution and 16x anti-alising. Those PS3 games cannot even get close.
I have seen Crysis run on high settings in 1080p. It looks beautiful, no doubt about that, but I think some games just look better.
Back to top Go down
andes755
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:11 am

Gibbon_Master wrote:
Microsoft does not want to pay Sony to use the Blu-Ray technology as they would have to licence it from them. So Sony would love that.
Sony don't actually own the bluray format

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc_Association

Quote :
The "Blu-ray Disc founder group" was started on May 20, 2002 by nine leading electronic companies: Sony, Panasonic, Pioneer, Philips, Thomson, LG (Lucky GoldStar) Electronics, Hitachi, Sharp, and Samsung
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 08, 2010 4:28 pm

jaykay wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
jaykay wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

I have seen Crysis run on high settings in 1080p. It looks beautiful, no doubt about that, but I think some games just look better.

Dude, if you prefer the style of one game over another that's one thing, but to say PS3 has any game with the technical graphical fidelity of Crysis running on high is ludicrous. You might like the way Uncharted 2 looks, but it and all the games you mentioned are NOT on the same level as Crysis.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:30 am

if it would use bluray
i hope they skip mandatory installs and such it f***ing takes years
Back to top Go down
Invincible
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:27 pm

BlackStigma wrote:

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe
MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.

DVD doesnt look a whole lot better then VHS. Does that make it a gimmick too?

Blu ray looks incredible on a large LCD. And the bonus features are a lot better too. The Watchmen, Wall-E, District 9 and Star Trek have a lot of cool extras that would be impossible on DVD.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:03 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
arnt god of war wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
It might use Blu-Ray, but it might also use another larger format. There's no reason MS can't include Blu-Ray and since it's the new standard it would make sense to make it available to people who actually watch movies on their gaming consoles.
new standard? who says? to awnser op no it will not use bluray i can almost garuntee it (spelling fail??) more likely it will use a bigger version of dvd (new or old hd dvd maybe?)

Last I checked there's only two formats down at Walmart. DVD and BLu-Ray. DVD was the standard and now Blu-Ray is. DVD is still great and since it's cheaper it will be around just as long as Blu-Ray until something better comes along.

You might be right that the next Xbox will use HD DVD for games, but to leave out support for Blu-Ray movies would be a bad idea. All it would do is give Sony a feature that MS doesn't have.

HDDVD was discontinued though. It would make no sense what so ever to make drives for it.

There is the possibility of digital distribution. Each Xbox could come with 2 TB HDDs or something.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Sat Apr 10, 2010 2:07 pm

Invincible wrote:
BlackStigma wrote:

So yes unless the PC gets a new format then they'll use it. Or maybe
MS will create their own custom format but the disk drive will still be able to play DVDs and Blue Rays.

DVD doesnt look a whole lot better then VHS. Does that make it a gimmick too?

Blu ray looks incredible on a large LCD. And the bonus features are a lot better too. The Watchmen, Wall-E, District 9 and Star Trek have a lot of cool extras that would be impossible on DVD.

Um yes it does actually. And DVD isn't a gimmick. DVD's innovation was the fact that it was disc-based AND it was better quality. Besides, you can't upscale VHS's. DVD created a whole new generation for distributers. Blu-ray is a successor to DVD, it didn't innovate anything. The only thing it really did was increase the disc space capacity.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Sun Apr 11, 2010 7:31 pm

I say we all go back to game cartridges lol!
Back to top Go down
igame

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:03 am

TheJubJub57212 wrote:

lol yeah no load times!!!
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:24 am

igame wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

Actually with how fast memory prices decrease you could see a return to solid state games. We already are seeing music distributed on SD cards instead of CDs and companies hand out USB drives like candy to promote stuff.

If it gets to be cheap enough we could games released on 16-64 gigabyte cartridges. They are faster, smaller, and harder to copy without special equipment. Plus you can save data and DLC right onto the card.

It might happen, you never know.
Back to top Go down
andes755
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:11 pm

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

Actually with how fast memory prices decrease you could see a return to solid state games. We already are seeing music distributed on SD cards instead of CDs and companies hand out USB drives like candy to promote stuff.

If it gets to be cheap enough we could games released on 16-64 gigabyte cartridges. They are faster, smaller, and harder to copy without special equipment. Plus you can save data and DLC right onto the card.

with the BDXL specification having been annouced (128gb disks), I think it is a very long shot, if ever we'll see game cartridges penetrating the mainstream market again, with the exception of Nintendo (imagine if Nintendo switched to CDs, would be o_____________O)

I found a post on Yahoo answers which sums up my thoughts

Quote :
Well, it would need to be ROM (read-only) format rather than flash, as flash media can easily be wiped.

Other than that, however, what you suggest is perfectly feasible. In a sense it already partially exists, as there are boomboxes in stores with SD card slots on them. However you can't actually buy albums in this format and it is intended to complement, rather than replace, the CD player.

There are two main barriers at present:

Manufacturing costs. It would be more expensive to produce movies and albums on solid state media than on DVD and CD. This may change in the future.

Installed base. CD has been around since 1982, DVD since 1996. There are hundreds of millions of DVD and CD players in active use, and a HUGE library of CD and DVD titles available. You cannot simply wipe this out overnight and replace everything with memory cards.

A more likely scenario is that everyone moves over to non physical media, i.e. internet downloads. This is already largely the case for music and could happen in the future with movies too.
didn't know about boomboxes, I know they were discussing having booths in music stores here in the UK to download music on memory sticks (I forget), your right about equipment, then again, when someone does copy them and uploads it to the net....boom....that goes out the window
Quote :
For one thing, they wear out faster. For another, most people are reluctant to replace their collections of CDs and DVDs, having been collecting them for 10+ years. For another, the CD and DVD format is cheaper and more permanent. Flash drives and such can be wiped out. Take care of a CD, however, and it will last a lifetime.

I can see digital distribution being very prevalent in the future, with higher internet speeds getting cheaper and more userbases getting backbone for higher speeds, sites like Direct2Drive offering entire PC games to download, there is also StreamMyGame, I have no experience with that

Sandisk have actually unveiled a new SDXC 64gb card (theoretical limit is 2TB), DS carts have a 4gb capacity, it is unclear what the theoretical limit is though for them

size is also another problem for cartridges, DS cartridges are small, but not as small as memory cards,
and at this minute CDs are smaller then cartridges, not in length, but in size/weight and that is where cost is a factor

then again would you want a game on a card that small, I wouldn't, I know I would lose them in an instant, same goes for music, but I switched to download a few years ago, I don't even use my CD collection anymore

just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
jaykay

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:27 pm

andes755 wrote:
343_Guilty_Spark wrote:
igame wrote:
TheJubJub57212 wrote:

with the BDXL specification having been annouced (128gb disks), I think it is a very long shot, if ever we'll see game cartridges penetrating the mainstream market again, with the exception of Nintendo (imagine if Nintendo switched to CDs, would be o_____________O)

I found a post on Yahoo answers which sums up my thoughts

Quote :
Well, it would need to be ROM (read-only) format rather than flash, as flash media can easily be wiped.

Other than that, however, what you suggest is perfectly feasible. In a sense it already partially exists, as there are boomboxes in stores with SD card slots on them. However you can't actually buy albums in this format and it is intended to complement, rather than replace, the CD player.

There are two main barriers at present:

Manufacturing costs. It would be more expensive to produce movies and albums on solid state media than on DVD and CD. This may change in the future.

Installed base. CD has been around since 1982, DVD since 1996. There are hundreds of millions of DVD and CD players in active use, and a HUGE library of CD and DVD titles available. You cannot simply wipe this out overnight and replace everything with memory cards.

A more likely scenario is that everyone moves over to non physical media, i.e. internet downloads. This is already largely the case for music and could happen in the future with movies too.
didn't know about boomboxes, I know they were discussing having booths in music stores here in the UK to download music on memory sticks (I forget), your right about equipment, then again, when someone does copy them and uploads it to the net....boom....that goes out the window
Quote :
For one thing, they wear out faster. For another, most people are reluctant to replace their collections of CDs and DVDs, having been collecting them for 10+ years. For another, the CD and DVD format is cheaper and more permanent. Flash drives and such can be wiped out. Take care of a CD, however, and it will last a lifetime.

I can see digital distribution being very prevalent in the future, with higher internet speeds getting cheaper and more userbases getting backbone for higher speeds, sites like Direct2Drive offering entire PC games to download, there is also StreamMyGame, I have no experience with that

Sandisk have actually unveiled a new SDXC 64gb card (theoretical limit is 2TB), DS carts have a 4gb capacity, it is unclear what the theoretical limit is though for them

size is also another problem for cartridges, DS cartridges are small, but not as small as memory cards,
and at this minute CDs are smaller then cartridges, not in length, but in size/weight and that is where cost is a factor

then again would you want a game on a card that small, I wouldn't, I know I would lose them in an instant, same goes for music, but I switched to download a few years ago, I don't even use my CD collection anymore

just my 2 cents
I've lost so many SD cards. Luckily, I've only paid $15-$20 for them. I couldn't imagine losing a $60 SD card.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:48 pm

I refuse to accept a future of Download Only.

It's a world without used game sales. I like selling games on ebay and buying them used for cheap.

If everything is Download Only then there is no second market and I'll never be able to buy a cheap used game again. Game prices will be decided by the publisher forever no matter how old they are.

It's an awful, bleak future, where you don't actually own any of the games you buy. Before you argue that you still own it and can re-download it if you have a hardware failure, think about the following. Do you really own something if you can't sell it to your friend?

I say you don't.

You're just paying for access to the game. If the publisher decides after a couple years it's not worth wasting space for on their server it's gone. I can still go down to a used game store or garage sale and buy a working copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 for $1.

I also often wait several months to pick up a used copy of a game and save $20 to $30 or even more. If publishers had their way I'd have to pay the full $60 no matter how long I wait.

Sure I'm going to pay $60 for Halo Reach on launch day, but most games aren't worth $60.

If you support download only you are supporting a publisher take over and price fixing of the entire video game industry. You will have no rights to anything you purchase becuase you won't actually own it.

Besides if the average game size next gen is 50gb and games end up being 300-500gb only very few very lucky gamers will be able to download them at a reasonable speed. Most of us would have to wait days or even weeks to download something as big as that.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:42 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

It's a world without used game sales. I like selling games on ebay and buying them used for cheap.

If everything is Download Only then there is no second market and I'll never be able to buy a cheap used game again. Game prices will be decided by the publisher forever no matter how old they are.

It's an awful, bleak future, where you don't actually own any of the games you buy. Before you argue that you still own it and can re-download it if you have a hardware failure, think about the following. Do you really own something if you can't sell it to your friend?

I say you don't.

You're just paying for access to the game. If the publisher decides after a couple years it's not worth wasting space for on their server it's gone. I can still go down to a used game store or garage sale and buy a working copy of Super Mario Bros. 3 for $1.

I also often wait several months to pick up a used copy of a game and save $20 to $30 or even more. If publishers had their way I'd have to pay the full $60 no matter how long I wait.

Sure I'm going to pay $60 for Halo Reach on launch day, but most games aren't worth $60.

If you support download only you are supporting a publisher take over and price fixing of the entire video game industry. You will have no rights to anything you purchase becuase you won't actually own it.

Besides if the average game size next gen is 50gb and games end up being 300-500gb only very few very lucky gamers will be able to download them at a reasonable speed. Most of us would have to wait days or even weeks to download something as big as that.

Exactly!! Like I said before, if gaming next gen is download only, then its one less customer in me. And Im sure alot of people would boycott gaming also if that was the case.
Back to top Go down
Arbiteris

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:25 am

343_Guilty_Spark wrote:

I say you don't.

Very true.I feel the same way about donwloading only.But the main reason for me is that I hate paying for something I dont own
Back to top Go down
THEDJLiGHTSPEEDBLASTER
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Fri Apr 16, 2010 3:16 pm

To hell with Blu-Ray. HDDVD was better.

And they already use DVDs.
Back to top Go down
Madtoker
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:15 am

If MS is gonna make games that will be on par with sony, there gonna NEED blu-ray because its coming to a point where the dvd is maxed out.
Back to top Go down
undergrace

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:34 am

Gibbon_Master wrote:
Microsoft does not want to pay Sony to use the Blu-Ray technology as they would have to licence it from them. So Sony would love that.
sony does not own Blu-Ray Technology exclusively. Nine electronic companies own it. If it will benefit the next console, MS will invest in it. MS's goal is not to destroy Sony, If they wanted to they could have done so already. MS goal is for the Xbox720? to outperform and outsell the PS4?.
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:57 pm

it will use blueray because it will be a lot cheaper or use the new disc that will use tebytes
Back to top Go down
Stigma

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:17 pm

Madtoker wrote:
If MS is gonna make games that will be on par with sony, there gonna NEED blu-ray because its coming to a point where the dvd is maxed out.

If DVD was maxed out then you'd see the PC running games off of blueray. It's not the space, it's the efficiency of the software designed to create the game, and the power of the hardware that will run the game.
Back to top Go down
Zombl337
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon May 03, 2010 1:12 pm

The next Xbox better AT LEAST support 25GB-50GB Blu-Ray, or else high-tech devs will be going to PS4.
Back to top Go down
Doominator99
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   Mon May 03, 2010 3:17 pm

mabey they will invent a disc called red-ray
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?   

Back to top Go down

Will The Next Xbox Use DVD?
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next