This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:27 am

http://www.vgarabia.com/2010/04/16/multiplatform-engines-didnt-do-the-xbox360-justice/

Very good article!

Let’s face it. The PS3 has been kicking the Xbox360 ass in the visuals department in the last two years. While games such as Mass Effect 2 and Gears 2 are visually stunning games, the PS3 has been raising the bar visually with its biggest exclusives such as Metal Gear Solid 4, Uncharted 2, Killzone 2 and the recently released God of War 3.

The point I want to clarify here is, Mass Effect 2, which is the best looking game on Xbox360 is running on the Unreal Engine 3 (multiplatform engine). Most of all Xbox360 games (exclusives and multiplatform) do run on multiplatform engines. With most of the biggest exclusives on Xbox360 are powered by the Unreal Engine 3 (Mass Effect 2, Gears of War 2, Lost Odyssey and etc). Multiplatform engines are designed to run on multiple platforms, which means they aren’t created to take full advantage of a specific console/platform. Yes, we see games such as Mass Effect 2 look better than an average Unreal Engine 3 game. But that because of the developers who are creating the game. With better art design and better optimization, a game can look better than another even if they are running on the same engine.

This year, we are seeing Xbox360 exclusives running on new engines or to be more accurate, engines that created to take full advantage of Microsoft’s console. Halo: Reach looks so much better than Halo 3 and ODST, but the real star that showed what the Xbox360 is capable of is Remedy’s upcoming Psychological thriller, Alan Wake.

Alan Wake not just raising the bar for Xbox360 in term of visuals, it’s raising the bar for this whole generation. Technically and artistically, Alan Wake is shaping up to be the best looking game this generation. From the real-time projected shadows produced by the essential flashlight, the total absence of aliasing (720p 4x FSAA), the breathtaking realistic lighting effects (the best I have ever seen), the epic scale of the environments, SSAO (Screen Space Ambient Occlusion), the atmospheric effects to the vegetation which interacts with characters and wind, and the absent of screen tearing. Truly impressive stuff.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 7:48 am

This guy speaks the truth. Alan Wake will really push graphics really far and so will Halo Reach. People also tend to forget about how technically impressive Crackdown 2 is.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:02 am

ghost23 wrote:
This guy speaks the truth. Alan Wake will really push graphics really far and so will Halo Reach. People also tend to forget about how technically impressive Crackdown 2 is.

I know, Crackdown is so underrated.

4 Player co-op in free roam with enormous explosions, not a bad poly count at all... just has cel-shaded visuals, really cool art style with loads of colour, leaping over several hundred ft tall buildings, etc Very Happy
Also there are large crowds!!!!!
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:07 am

demondragondude wrote:
ghost23 wrote:

I know, Crackdown is so underrated.

4 Player co-op in free roam with enormous explosions, not a bad poly count at all... just has cel-shaded visuals, really cool art style with loads of colour, leaping over several hundred ft tall buildings, etc Very Happy
Also there are large crowds!!!!!

I agree, I'm fairly surprised that they are actually managing to pull it off on 360. Hopefully the net code is really good so there isn't laggy online play.

Last edited by ghost23 on Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:54 am

The comments are mindblowing. Thrives of hate for the 360..
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:59 am

Alan Wake is such a beautiful game. Really impressive.
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:33 pm

Multiplatform engines really dont push any console. As far as PS3 kicking 360's ass in graphics I would say thats a gross exaggeration as there are only a handful of PS3 exclusives that are actually pushing some boundries. And some PS3 exclusives are actually pretty ugly like R2 and MAG for example.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:54 pm

My fav part at R2. The Google map level:

Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:27 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
My fav part at R2. The Google map level:

I see a good draw distance with nothing much to look at other than a bunch of bland ground textures. Kind of helps prove my point actually.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:53 pm

Yup, i mean when i saw this for the first time i was like: LoL WTF is this bullcrap?
Back to top Go down
Master_Chief
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:34 pm

daveMastaKill wrote:
Yup, i mean when i saw this for the first time i was like: LoL WTF is this bullcrap?
LOL Yep, same thing with me.
Back to top Go down
XboxKing
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:37 pm

"Resistance 2" always felt a bit incomplete to me. And when you look up close to your HDTV, the graphics look like "Resistance: Retribution" for the PSP.
Back to top Go down
arnt god of war
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sat Apr 17, 2010 9:07 pm

didnt everyone already no this?
Back to top Go down
igame
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:13 am

Alan Wake? really? hmmmm i might have to look at the latest video again on HD cuz i didnt see anything impressive about it
Back to top Go down
Pein

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:17 am

to tell you the truth..alan wake graphics look amazing,but its not anything like one of the best graphics this generation.there arent that mindblowing as anyone says,yes they look amazing but they are not "HOLY SHIT OMG THIS ARE DA BEST GRAPHICZ".but i dont know,the game isnt released yet and when i get it,it might have better graphics than i thought it would have
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:21 am

igame wrote:
Alan Wake? really? hmmmm i might have to look at the latest video again on HD cuz i didnt see anything impressive about it

Just look at the lighting effects and that alone represents the visual excellence of Alan Wake.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:57 am

igame wrote:

Yeah I know what you mean, I don't see what's so impressive about Killzone 2 or Crysis or Uncharted 2. They look pretty average really.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:23 am

AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
to tell you the truth..alan wake graphics look amazing,but its not anything like one of the best graphics this generation.there arent that mindblowing as anyone says,yes they look amazing but they are not "HOLY SHIT OMG THIS ARE DA BEST GRAPHICZ".but i dont know,the game isnt released yet and when i get it,it might have better graphics than i thought it would have
Actually they're definately among the best.
Beautiful, realistic landscapes (non-linear too):

Really life-like character models:

Stunning lighting effects:

And of course, fantastic detail on every object:

Amazing draw distance (look at even the mountain peaks in the background)

And pretty much just everything looks breathtaking.
Back to top Go down
Dutchy
Seaman Recruit

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:30 am

This game does look amazing.
Back to top Go down
343_Guilty_Spark

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun Apr 18, 2010 3:49 pm

That first 10 minutes video confirmed the game looks amazing and that it was in game. I can't wait to play it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bungie.net
A7MAD_AU
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun May 02, 2010 10:59 am

Have a look at a screen shooting of AW in Korea and tell me you don't think it looks good, so I can then pimp bitch ass slap you.

http://file.ruliweb.com/mpeg5/ms/ruliweb_alwkor_05.wmv
Back to top Go down
Lt Xplosi

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun May 02, 2010 11:14 am

KEEEEWWL!
so... it is better then HRs graphics ?
Back to top Go down
joe11
Ensign
Ensign

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun May 02, 2010 1:48 pm

how though the 360 still has better looks multi-platforms, so i don't see a problem
Back to top Go down
Pein

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun May 02, 2010 2:26 pm

demondragondude wrote:
AndrejTheReviewer wrote:
Actually they're definately among the best.
Beautiful, realistic landscapes (non-linear too):

Really life-like character models:

Stunning lighting effects:

And of course, fantastic detail on every object:

Amazing draw distance (look at even the mountain peaks in the background)

And pretty much just everything looks breathtaking.
i saw all the pics.it does look impressing,but its not mindblowing for me,it may have good lightning and shaders but still i dont see anything mindblowing and some pictures look better than others so idk
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   Sun May 02, 2010 9:44 pm

The fact is this game looks unbelieveable. TBH I think the in-game engine looks better than the CGI.

I will be getting this for sure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)   

Back to top Go down

Multiplatform Engines Don't Do The Xbox 360 Justice (Alan Wake Raising The Visuals Bar Of This Generation)
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next