This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:02 pm

The Huge Feature -

One HUGE feature of Mass Effect is the way your choices in the first game influence what happens in the second. Ps3 owners will have to make brand new characters whereas us xbox owners, lots of us have completed the first game even numerous times, levelled up our commander and had him personalised to suit our needs and are able to continue the game with the same character. Ps3 owners will not be able to do anything like this.

And to add to this... they're getting a half-arsed game.
This feature means that xbox 360 owners can go back to the first game, do things differently and see how this affects the second game in a different way! Ps3 owners will unfortunately only get a slice of what ME has to offer.

Too late -

The majority of people who wanted the game have most likely already got it (even I bought it a short while ago) seeing as it's been on both pc and xbox 360 for a while now, now most of us are waiting for Mass Effect 3 to come out. Ps3 owners are getting a sloppy, late port.
Sure there's new content, but will it be enough to make owners of it to re-buy it? Will it be enough to save it from the fact that it's the same game but come out later?

The story -

I'm sure not everyone who got ME2 owned the first but a good number of them did whereas most ps3 owners...never did. And when you've had the game on your system for so long usually you at least hear about some back-story from friends or articles. When the franchise has been like a 1st party exclusive for the competing system, obviously ps3 owners haven't really heard much about this game so the moment they launch ME2 they'll say "WTF" when words like "Normandy", "Joker", "Citadel" are said.

The sales -

Pretty self explanatory. And when the game's also been out for a while on two other systems, I think we can expect a fail in this department.

Porting problems -

It could end up fine, possibly even better but from what we've seen already, the majority of ports end up inferior on ps3 in terms of framerate and graphics. Not that the ps3 couldn't handle the game but Xbox 360 and Ps3's architecture are so different that I don't expect the ps3 version to run without a hitch at first.
----------

So, perhaps if it came out at the same time as the Xbox 360 version, if the first one came out too and if ps3 owners bought their games, then yes it would be a great decision.

But I think right now, it's an ill-time and badly thought out decision.

Share your thoughts.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
GZDoolmguy

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 pm

In my opinion I hope it turns out an excellent port and a good entry point to the mass effect series
Back to top Go down
Boba_Fett
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:14 pm

EA announced that they are going to have the sum up for people who didn't play part one. I think a port is fine. Don't see it as a mistake since people are being layed off so much. Good for the gamers and the economy.
Back to top Go down
Pein

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:44 pm

but the biggest problem for mass effect 2 going to the ps3 is that they will probably delay mass effect 3 till 2012 and or even beyond..now thats bullshit
Back to top Go down
hALoN4t3R52
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:47 pm

I think its like a time share, ps3 fans get a small bit of awesomeness, but to get the real thing, you have to buy the whole thing. which includes an xbox
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:12 pm

This will definitely affect the development of Mass Effect 3 which I am quite pissed about.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:18 pm

And this better not make Mass Effect 1 decisions mean nothing in ME3. Because that will piss off the majority of the ME fanbase.
Back to top Go down
Tferr

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:32 pm

hALoN4t3R52 wrote:
I think its like a time share, ps3 fans get a small bit of awesomeness, but to get the real thing, you have to buy the whole thing. which includes an xbox

Or a PC, ME1 and 2 are quite well optimized and can run smoothly on most computers.
Anyway.
Seems like there's a bit to much bias and or prejudice in this thread.
Remember that it was announced merely a few days ago, we don't know how they'll handle the ME1 problem. I doubt they'd just invalidate the decisions of ME1.

I have a gut feeling that ME1 will either be released with ME2 or that it'll be available on the PSN.
Personally, I think that releasing ME2 on the PS3 is an amazing idea. It'll mean more money to Bioware which (at least I hope so) can mean a higher quality of future games (it's not terribly common knowledge, but there was quite a bit of cut content in ME2. As an example Legion was supposed to be one of your first party members)
Back to top Go down
NightFang91
Senior Chief Petty Officer
Senior Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:34 pm

Tferr wrote:

Or a PC, ME1 and 2 are quite well optimized and can run smoothly on most computers.
ME1 was poorly optimized for PC. I get much better framerates on ME2 compared to ME1.
Back to top Go down
Notorious
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:52 pm

i have some problems with your predictions

the huge feature

sure they cant go back and play me1 and i laugh at them for that however i wouldn't say its a half arsed game as its still the normal ME2 and therefor calling it that means ours is also half arsed.

too late

its better late then never in the case of the PS3 for almost every game they have so that isnt really a point its just the downside to owning a ps3. and again it probably wont be sloppy it will be ME2 with the restrictions of porting to ps3

the story

i would say most of them know the story as most ps3 owners have a super computer that they can play games on that helps them support their ps3 when arguing so that shouldn't matter.

the sales

i also expect the sales to be small however not because of your reason but because ps3 gamers don't buy shit.

port problems

i agree
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:21 pm

ME2 being on PS3 is not a mistake. ME1 NOT being on PS3 is a mistake. Bioware should have released both games.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
ME2 being on PS3 is not a mistake. ME1 NOT being on PS3 is a mistake. Bioware should have released both games.

It's beyond their control. MS have said that ME1 will stay exclusive forever.
Back to top Go down
Reasoner
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:37 pm

I dont think they should have bothered placing ME2 to Ps3, Its going to delay ME 3 and its just a waste of time. I guess Me creators are kinda shallow for going for the money and Ps3 imo. Though they still make a great game experience so I can forgive them Razz
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 10:00 pm

ghost23 wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:

It's beyond their control. MS have said that ME1 will stay exclusive forever.

Possibly, but they could have tried a remake of ME1 on the PS3. Like Mass Effect Sigma or something lmao.
Back to top Go down
Boba_Fett
Petty Officer 1st Class
Petty Officer 1st Class

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:22 pm

Reasoner wrote:
I dont think they should have bothered placing ME2 to Ps3, Its going to delay ME 3 and its just a waste of time. I guess Me creators are kinda shallow for going for the money and Ps3 imo. Though they still make a great game experience so I can forgive them Razz

Bioware is making 3 games as we speak. Dragon age 2. Mass effect 3 which i doubt is going to take a while to come out with. I say January 2012. and the old republic. they are far from shallow. Although they do like the xbox more. they game them exclusives like star wars knights of the old republic ♥️
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:10 am

Boba_Fett wrote:
Reasoner wrote:

Bioware is making 3 games as we speak. Dragon age 2. Mass effect 3 which i doubt is going to take a while to come out with. I say January 2012. and the old republic. they are far from shallow. Although they do like the xbox more. they game them exclusives like star wars knights of the old republic ♥️

They are also still making Dragon Age Origins DLC and Mass Effect 2 DLC.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:06 am

Reasoner wrote:

Curse them for trying to make more money, who do they think they are anyways?

Bioware are still amazing developers. If Microsoft really cared about Mass Effect 2 being exclusive they should have bought the franchise from them when they had a chance. Don't blame Bioware, blame MS. But still, how could this honestly be a bad thing? Those hours of bonus content on ME2 PS3 will most likely be interactive recap cutscenes. PS3 owners will still get a slightly gimped experience for not playing all 3 game, but ME3 won't be heavily effected by the new audience. Besides, if ME2 PS3 sells like crap they probably won't make ME3 for the PS3.
Back to top Go down
Noelol
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 11:25 am

Well...its more fun for everyone!
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:11 pm

Alan1994 wrote:

Yeah but the fact that ME1 isn't on ps3 makes it a mistake.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:13 pm

Reasoner wrote:

It's EA's fault really. MS Game Studios published the first, that was the only reason it was exclusive to my knowledge. I guess you can't blame EA, blame MS for not publishing it and not getting an exclusive deal, though I blame EA for every single other stupid decision they made.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:16 pm

NoelX2 wrote:
Well...its more fun for everyone!

Of course, I'm glad it's multiplatform. I prefer multiplats to exclusives usually anyway. I just think it could have been executed in a much better way and for the reasons I stated above, it's just going to lack where it wouldn't otherwise. I want ME1 to be ported to ps3, hopefully MS will make a deal and let EA port it to ps3. I don't mind sharing games, unlike ps3 fanboys.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:22 pm

Notorious wrote:
i have some problems with your predictions

the huge feature

sure they cant go back and play me1 and i laugh at them for that however i wouldn't say its a half arsed game as its still the normal ME2 and therefor calling it that means ours is also half arsed.

....we have the first game. That makes ALL the difference. One of the main aspects of mass effect is the decision making. Why is it that bioware gave it that great chat interface, made a big focus of the game the talking?
Because so many things have an effect later on and they will continue in the next game. All of this is not in the ps3 version.

too late

its better late then never in the case of the PS3 for almost every game they have so that isnt really a point its just the downside to owning a ps3. and again it probably wont be sloppy it will be ME2 with the restrictions of porting to ps3

I guess but either way, it's not played that much now by anyone anymore, most people who wanted it bought it on 360 or pc and the hype's died.

the story

i would say most of them know the story as most ps3 owners have a super computer that they can play games on that helps them support their ps3 when arguing so that shouldn't matter.

LMAO Epic sarcasm. QFT

the sales

i also expect the sales to be small however not because of your reason but because ps3 gamers don't buy shit.

True but that's one of the raesons I gave anyway.
port problems

i agree
Back to top Go down
MrPink
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:39 am

I honestly don't see the impact of your decisions in ME1 besides the random email, sidequest, or conversation.
The only thing that came from beating the game once was the fact that you leveled up a little and got some cash.
But I do agree, if a PS3 player has NEVER heard of Mass Effect and plays it, they may be a little confused.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Aug 22, 2010 12:29 pm

My inner fanboy is going to lol when ME2 PS3's lifetime sales are only 500k.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:25 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
My inner fanboy is going to lol when ME2 PS3's lifetime sales are only 500k.

Very true.

But nah, I reckon it will just about hit a million.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   

Back to top Go down

Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next