This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
lightlamp
Master Chief Petty Officer
Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:48 am

Meh we get it a year before they do
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Sep 18, 2010 6:23 pm

FullMetalKendo wrote:
I think talking about Mass Effect going to the PS3 being a "Mistake" kinda reminds me of Metal Gear Solid going to the 360. I mean people can say we "have not" experienced the full MGS story, when several people who own 360's could have played the previous MGS titles on the PS1, and PS2. How do we know PS3 owners have not played ME1 on 360 or PC?

True.

Except MGS Rising is built with both ps3 owners AND 360 owners in mind.
ME2 was built for the people who own the first game.

On top of that, there is no save import for MGS rising.
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:12 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
FullMetalKendo wrote:
I think talking about Mass Effect going to the PS3 being a "Mistake" kinda reminds me of Metal Gear Solid going to the 360. I mean people can say we "have not" experienced the full MGS story, when several people who own 360's could have played the previous MGS titles on the PS1, and PS2. How do we know PS3 owners have not played ME1 on 360 or PC?

True.

That's not necessarily true. You can easily play ME2 without having played the first. If I played ME2 without playing the original, I wouldn't notice all of the little things from the first game. When you play Mass Effect first, it custom-suits Mass Effect 2 to fit your Mass Effect experience, but I wouldn't notice that I had been missing out on anything were I just to play the second game only. The first game affects your enjoyment of the second, which is what I was explaining to ghost23. The import feature goes from game to game, which is why I consider it a feature of the series, not the individual games, which is again, why I think the PS3 version of ME2 will be superior, but ME as a series is better for 360 and/or PC.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sat Sep 18, 2010 10:30 pm

TRF wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
joe11 wrote:
i mostly hate that the ps3 fagboys acting like they won a gold medal and that they won its f******* ANOYIN
Right, because 360 fanboys flaunting Mass Effect around as an "exclusive" wasn't annoying as hell.

lol

But when you're arguing with ps3 fanboys, it effectively is! They bought a ps3 to play ps3 games. They can't play pc games on their ps3's so games like Mass Effect are as good as exclusive in a ps3 vs 360 argument! It's just a quicker way of saying, its on our system and pc but not yours.
Regardless of whether or not you consider it to be exclusive, the flaunting is still there. If you're allowed to flaunt it as an exclusive, then PS3 fanboys are allowed to flaunt it as a lost exclusive. Either way, it's annoying on both sides.

Yeah, fine. It's a lost exclusive. I'm cool with that. It is effectively. It was on 360 and now its on ps3. Even if it is somewhat stripped down.
Well, technically it's superior on the PS3 since it comes with all of the DLC for free, but as a series, Mass Effect is better-played on the 360 or PC.

Well.. No. PS3 version doesn't have save game import which is arguable one of the biggest features of ME.
You can still play the game just fine without the first game. The save feature is something that affects the the whole trilogy, not the specific games.

Yes you can but there is still a substantial part of the second game that you will be missing if you don't import it as well. And this also applies for the 3rd game.
Again, I see that as a series-wide thing. If you played Mass Effect 2 without playing Mass Effect, you wouldn't notice any of the little things a Mass Effect played would notice. Importing your save does not make the game itself better, but it makes the series as a whole better.

It's kinda hard to explain in text, so I hope you understand what the hell I'm saying.

Yeah I get what you are saying. But you have to agree that with the addition of save game import, ME2 is a lot better of a game and thats something that 360 players have and Ps3 players won't get to enjoy.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:08 am

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
FullMetalKendo wrote:

True.

That's not necessarily true. You can easily play ME2 without having played the first. If I played ME2 without playing the original, I wouldn't notice all of the little things from the first game. When you play Mass Effect first, it custom-suits Mass Effect 2 to fit your Mass Effect experience, but I wouldn't notice that I had been missing out on anything were I just to play the second game only. The first game affects your enjoyment of the second, which is what I was explaining to ghost23. The import feature goes from game to game, which is why I consider it a feature of the series, not the individual games, which is again, why I think the PS3 version of ME2 will be superior, but ME as a series is better for 360 and/or PC.

Dude, I wouldn't have even considered buying Mass Effect 2 if it wasn't for the first game.
Yes, ME3 will be just as good on ps3 as it will have the decisions made in ME2. But Mass Effect 2 alone on ps3 is going to lack a lot.
Mass Effect 2 is pretty much like a huge expansion to Mass Effect 1.
Without Mass Effect 1 you lose it's core parts. And even through playing Mass Effect 1 on another platform, you're not getting the whole story because you may make certain decisions in ME1 and if you can't import that game and those decisions...well aspects of the story are going to be different when you play ME2. It will feel flawed. It's like a book which contradicts itself.

Imagine Harry Potter had a minor character die in one book. Then the next book involves him like he never died.
You'd be a bit like "...errrm ....what..?"
Imagine it!

Hell, it's better if you don't play the first game if you're getting it on ps3. But then you get a flat game. It'll be like the equivalent of ME1, but seem inferior because there was no game before ME1 so you didn't have expectations of save game imports. Now that it's become such a massive feature, to have a game without it is just going to... suck.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:19 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
Without Mass Effect 1 you lose it's core parts. And even through playing Mass Effect 1 on another platform, you're not getting the whole story because you may make certain decisions in ME1 and if you can't import that game and those decisions...well aspects of the story are going to be different when you play ME2. It will feel flawed. It's like a book which contradicts itself.
I'm saying that if you JUST played Mass Effect 2, you wouldn't feel like you were missing out on anything. ME2 is not necessarily superior on 360 because your extra enjoyment relies on you playing the first, which is why I said the series as a whole is better on the 360 and/or PC, but the Mass Effect 2 alone is better on PS3.

Imagine Harry Potter had a minor character die in one book. Then the next book involves him like he never died.
Imagine it!
Yes, it would be weird. My point is that if you didn't read the previous book where the character died, you wouldn't be confused by the fact that he's alive in the second one.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:02 pm

TRF wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
TRF wrote:
joe11 wrote:
i mostly hate that the ps3 fagboys acting like they won a gold medal and that they won its f******* ANOYIN
Right, because 360 fanboys flaunting Mass Effect around as an "exclusive" wasn't annoying as hell.

lol

But when you're arguing with ps3 fanboys, it effectively is! They bought a ps3 to play ps3 games. They can't play pc games on their ps3's so games like Mass Effect are as good as exclusive in a ps3 vs 360 argument! It's just a quicker way of saying, its on our system and pc but not yours.
Regardless of whether or not you consider it to be exclusive, the flaunting is still there. If you're allowed to flaunt it as an exclusive, then PS3 fanboys are allowed to flaunt it as a lost exclusive. Either way, it's annoying on both sides.

Yeah, fine. It's a lost exclusive. I'm cool with that. It is effectively. It was on 360 and now its on ps3. Even if it is somewhat stripped down.
Well, technically it's superior on the PS3 since it comes with all of the DLC for free, but as a series, Mass Effect is better-played on the 360 or PC.

Well.. No. PS3 version doesn't have save game import which is arguable one of the biggest features of ME.
You can still play the game just fine without the first game. The save feature is something that affects the the whole trilogy, not the specific games.

Yes you can but there is still a substantial part of the second game that you will be missing if you don't import it as well. And this also applies for the 3rd game.
Again, I see that as a series-wide thing. If you played Mass Effect 2 without playing Mass Effect, you wouldn't notice any of the little things a Mass Effect played would notice. Importing your save does not make the game itself better, but it makes the series as a whole better.

It's kinda hard to explain in text, so I hope you understand what the hell I'm saying.

I understand. PS3-only owners aren't getting a gimped experience. But as a whole X360/PC owners are getting the better one.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:12 pm

FullMetalKendo wrote:

MGS Rising is kind of a different story.

MGS Rising is a spin-off to the MGS brand. The story arch doesn't really tie-in with the rest of the MGS/Solid Snake saga. It's not even the same genre anymore.

If it were MGS4 going to the X360 you would have a very good point.

As for your last question. It's an assumption derived from common sense. Most of the PS3 owners who are getting Mass Effect 2 have most likely not played ME1. If you played ME1/ME2 on the X360/PC, your personal Mass Effect experience stays exclusive to that platform when you consider the fact that you can't transfer saved files across platforms. Besides, there is hardly an incentive to get it on PS3 anyways. It's the same damn game, with an ME1 recap which you can probably find on youtube if you are that curious.

For example, I upgraded my PC rig last week and could probably play ME1/ME2 on their highest settings. But since I already played the hell out of them on the X360, I don't have an incentive to get them again on my PC. Even I'm not THAT much of a graphics whore. And I made a damn thread about GPUs and CPUs.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:24 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
I'm not sure that's the best example, since it would be the same experience on 360 as it would be on PS3, since PS3 doesn't have any previous games from the series, although I suppose you could download MGS as a PSone Classic.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:30 pm

TRF wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
I'm not sure that's the best example, since it would be the same experience on 360 as it would be on PS3, since PS3 doesn't have any previous games from the series, although I suppose you could download MGS as a PSone Classic.

Oh snap, didn't consider that one.

Plus, many PS2 owners (like me) bought an Xbox 360 since they didn't want to wait for the PS3. That makes his example completely void.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:40 pm

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
I'm saying that if you JUST played Mass Effect 2, you wouldn't feel like you were missing out on anything. ME2 is not necessarily superior on 360 because your extra enjoyment relies on you playing the first, which is why I said the series as a whole is better on the 360 and/or PC, but the Mass Effect 2 alone is better on PS3.

Imagine it!
Yes, it would be weird. My point is that if you didn't read the previous book where the character died, you wouldn't be confused by the fact that he's alive in the second one.

Razz

lol but the point is, ME2 on ps3 simply isn't as good as ME2. By saying "I'm saying that if you JUST played Mass Effect 2, you wouldn't feel like you were missing out on anything", the same goes for saying stuff like "ps3 is better than xbox 360 because I've never played an xbox and don't know what it has so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of it's games or anything".

The fact is, at the end of the day, ME2 will grow on you more on Xbox 360 and is just generally more appealing. On ps3 it's just like any other game. On 360 it's a continuation, it's part of you. It's defined by who you are, your own decisions. By playing the first game and importing, you've effectively moulded the game into a more satisfying form.

No it will be okay on ps3 but it's just nothing when up against ME2 on Xbox 360 (at least if you own the first game).
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:44 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
By saying "I'm saying that if you JUST played Mass Effect 2, you wouldn't feel like you were missing out on anything", the same goes for saying stuff like "ps3 is better than xbox 360 because I've never played an xbox and don't know what it has so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of it's games or anything".
There's a difference between not missing anything within a single story and not missing anything on an opposing console.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:08 pm

TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
By saying "I'm saying that if you JUST played Mass Effect 2, you wouldn't feel like you were missing out on anything", the same goes for saying stuff like "ps3 is better than xbox 360 because I've never played an xbox and don't know what it has so I don't feel like I'm missing out on any of it's games or anything".
There's a difference between not missing anything within a single story and not missing anything on an opposing console.

If you are already playing Mass Effect on a certain platform then there is really no point to playing it on the PS3.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:38 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
TRF wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:

If you are already playing Mass Effect on a certain platform then there is really no point to playing it on the PS3.
Of course. If you've played ME1 on the PC or 360, then it's probably better to just stick with the 360 or PC for ME2 and ME3 for the sake of the series.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:27 pm

TRF you've already got pwnd, you want to prolong your agony? Razz
Back to top Go down
MrPink
Seaman Apprentice
Seaman Apprentice

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:58 pm

DemonWolf wrote:
How the hell did he get "Pwnd"?
I think he's making some good points, seeing as how importing your first games save only affected some cameos and your starting level.
That's just my opinion though.
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm

MrPink wrote:
DemonWolf wrote:
How the hell did he get "Pwnd"?
I think he's making some good points, seeing as how importing your first games save only affected some cameos and your starting level.
That's just my opinion though.
Yeah. There's no real difference between a game of ME2 that has ME1 data and a game that doesn't other than the way the story plays out. However, it does ultimately make the franchise better on 360 and PC.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   Wed Sep 22, 2010 1:18 am

FullMetalKendo wrote:

The Ps2 was the only console I had last-gen.

Although I wished I would've chosen a gamecube because I wanted to play the REmake and Resident Evil 0.

Oh well...there's always the wii.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake   

Back to top Go down

Why Mass Effect 2 Going To Ps3 Is A Mistake
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3