This is a Xbox 360 fan only forum. If you're not here to root for the home team please find another forum that better suits your taste.

Thank you for your interest,

Xbox Republic Admins

NOTE: If you can't register it may be due to a temporary lockdown. Wait a day or two and we will probably have reopened for new registrations.

HomeHome  PortalPortal  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Share | 

IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:33 am

I'm playing Alan Wake now, and the graphics are gorgeous. Really enjoying it.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:42 pm

TRF wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
All of those games use a bunch of smoke and mirrors to look that good. And they are all very linear in nature. Games don't prove that one system is better hardware wise than the other. It's as stupid as saying the Xbox 360 was the best hardware because Gears 1 was graphics king for a while before those games for PS3 came out. You gotta look at the specs.
Smoke and mirrors? How so? "Oh, they don't really look good, they just pretend to look good." If the 360 had superior hardware, then developers would be able to pump out better-looking games, especially since the 360 has been out for almost five years. It's been out longer, and has a easier-to-learn architecture, yet the PS3, which is a younger and more complicated console, has been able to push out better graphics. I'd say overall it has superior hardware. That's not to say the 360 has bad graphics. I'm not saying that at all. Hell, my jaw dropped when I saw Alan Wake. The 360 has a lot of potential, but the PS3 has more.

Post Processing effects= smoke and mirrors. Cooked lighting= smoke and mirrors. Non-real time environments= smoke and mirrors.

When you compare how much polygons each console can push, how much AA can be used, and how efficient each architecture is with RAM, then that would be comparing a console's power to another.

I'm not saying that KZ or GT5 doesn't use up a bit of the PS3's processing power. KZ had some really good REALTIME HDR lighting...but textures were hella flat and low res. GT5 has an amazing amount of poly's per car on a race track, but the environments are hella 2D and kinda rubbish. Both those games use effects like motion blur to cover flaws in the game's Image Quality.

I never said the X360 had superior hardware, both consoles have DIFFERENT hardware with DIFFERENT advantages. There is somethings like MLAA on the PS3 that are feasible on with the help of the Cell, likewise MSAA is only feasible with the memory efficient GPU and eDRAM on the X360.

And just so you know, Sony has 5 times more 1st party support and they have invested heavily on 1st party engines that really take advantage of the Cell processor. With Microsoft, most of it's exclusives run off of 3rd party engines like Unreal Engine. Hell even Alan Wake started as a PC title for DX11.

Instead of spewing garbage from the internet just look up the specs for each console. Compare fillrates, shader architectures, RAM effeciency, Polygons per Seconds, etc.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 12:50 pm

TRF wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
How can people still lick that consoles balls saying is just the best?
Cuz "some" of they're exclusives and nothing else...
It's not a "shitload", it's a few. Multiplats are generally the same on each console, with a few exceptions.

GeneralMLD wrote:
simple truth: 360s best looking games dont look as good compared to ps3s best looking games.......but the gap isnt that big.

any exageration beyond a minor graphics gap is propaganda, nothing more.

besides......multiplats, the bread and butter of a consoles library, is where 360 really smacks PS3 around Smile
The gap between the 360's best-looking game (Alan Wake) and the PS3's best-looking game isn't THAT huge, but Alan Wake is way above most of the 360's exclusives. So while the PS3 has a plethora of amazing looking games, the 360 has one or two amazing looking games, neither of which match the PS3's exclusives.

As for multiplats, they're pretty much the same. There are a few exceptions, like Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, and Mafia II, but for the most part, the games are the same.

Hmmm, alright. KZ2 "amazing looking". GOW3 "amazing looking". Uncharted 2 "amazing looking". GT5 "amazing looking". Umm what else? Heavy Rain I guess? Although that game was REALLLY linear but whatever.

5 "amazing looking" titles.

For X360.... Gears 2 (is ALOT older than those said games in technology, yet still looks amazing). Halo Reach "amazing looking". Alan Wake "amazing looking".

3 amazing looking titles. But Gears 3 is coming and I expect it to make every game I listed look like an last generation title.
Back to top Go down
daveMastaKill
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 1:57 pm

In Lens of Truth with 66 games analyzed we got:

PS3 Winners -13

Tie - 16

Xbox 360 Winners - 37

The gap is kinda something
Back to top Go down
TRF
Chief Warrant Officer 5
Chief Warrant Officer 5

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:05 pm

Alan1994 wrote:
TRF wrote:
Alan1994 wrote:
All of those games use a bunch of smoke and mirrors to look that good. And they are all very linear in nature. Games don't prove that one system is better hardware wise than the other. It's as stupid as saying the Xbox 360 was the best hardware because Gears 1 was graphics king for a while before those games for PS3 came out. You gotta look at the specs.
Smoke and mirrors? How so? "Oh, they don't really look good, they just pretend to look good." If the 360 had superior hardware, then developers would be able to pump out better-looking games, especially since the 360 has been out for almost five years. It's been out longer, and has a easier-to-learn architecture, yet the PS3, which is a younger and more complicated console, has been able to push out better graphics. I'd say overall it has superior hardware. That's not to say the 360 has bad graphics. I'm not saying that at all. Hell, my jaw dropped when I saw Alan Wake. The 360 has a lot of potential, but the PS3 has more.

Post Processing effects= smoke and mirrors. Cooked lighting= smoke and mirrors. Non-real time environments= smoke and mirrors.

When you compare how much polygons each console can push, how much AA can be used, and how efficient each architecture is with RAM, then that would be comparing a console's power to another.

I'm not saying that KZ or GT5 doesn't use up a bit of the PS3's processing power. KZ had some really good REALTIME HDR lighting...but textures were hella flat and low res. GT5 has an amazing amount of poly's per car on a race track, but the environments are hella 2D and kinda rubbish. Both those games use effects like motion blur to cover flaws in the game's Image Quality.

I never said the X360 had superior hardware, both consoles have DIFFERENT hardware with DIFFERENT advantages. There is somethings like MLAA on the PS3 that are feasible on with the help of the Cell, likewise MSAA is only feasible with the memory efficient GPU and eDRAM on the X360.

And just so you know, Sony has 5 times more 1st party support and they have invested heavily on 1st party engines that really take advantage of the Cell processor. With Microsoft, most of it's exclusives run off of 3rd party engines like Unreal Engine. Hell even Alan Wake started as a PC title for DX11.

Instead of spewing garbage from the internet just look up the specs for each console. Compare fillrates, shader architectures, RAM effeciency, Polygons per Seconds, etc.
Alright, I suppose you're right about that, then. Still, it makes you wonder why 360 devs don't use more smoke and mirrors.

Alan1994 wrote:
TRF wrote:
daveMastaKill wrote:
How can people still lick that consoles balls saying is just the best?
Cuz "some" of they're exclusives and nothing else...
It's not a "shitload", it's a few. Multiplats are generally the same on each console, with a few exceptions.

GeneralMLD wrote:
simple truth: 360s best looking games dont look as good compared to ps3s best looking games.......but the gap isnt that big.

any exageration beyond a minor graphics gap is propaganda, nothing more.

besides......multiplats, the bread and butter of a consoles library, is where 360 really smacks PS3 around Smile
The gap between the 360's best-looking game (Alan Wake) and the PS3's best-looking game isn't THAT huge, but Alan Wake is way above most of the 360's exclusives. So while the PS3 has a plethora of amazing looking games, the 360 has one or two amazing looking games, neither of which match the PS3's exclusives.

As for multiplats, they're pretty much the same. There are a few exceptions, like Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, and Mafia II, but for the most part, the games are the same.

Hmmm, alright. KZ2 "amazing looking". GOW3 "amazing looking". Uncharted 2 "amazing looking". GT5 "amazing looking". Umm what else? Heavy Rain I guess? Although that game was REALLLY linear but whatever.

5 "amazing looking" titles.

For X360.... Gears 2 (is ALOT older than those said games in technology, yet still looks amazing). Halo Reach "amazing looking". Alan Wake "amazing looking".

3 amazing looking titles. But Gears 3 is coming and I expect it to make every game I listed look like an last generation title.
I never thought Halo: Reach was amazing-looking, but you can definitely include Forza 3. As for Gears 3, it looks great, but isn't as huge a graphical leap as I was expecting. Still, the game's a long way's away, so I'm sure it will look a lot better in the months to come.
Back to top Go down
DemonWolf
Four Star General (Moderator)

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:29 pm

I consider this article irrelevant until any 3 of the following happen:

Ps3 gets more superior multiplats
Ps3 can handle texture detail like Gears Of War, Perfect Dark Zero
Ps3 gets an exclusive that isn't linear and still has those "best visuals"
When graphix > gameplay

Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
DemonWolf

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:39 pm

Alan, you pwned!!!! Very Happy

btw we've got more games than you mentioned, what about Perfect Dark Zero? Ridiculously underrated visuals. Best texture detail I've ever seen in my life. Even Kameo had great graphics! Rare really took advantage of 360s power.

So yeah:

Gears 2/3
Halo Reach
Perfect Dark Zero
Alan Wake
Mass Effect 2 till it's ported
Forza 3 (gt5 has the vehicles but forza has the tracks)
Back to top Go down
http://www.youtube.com/pspvampire
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:28 pm

TRF wrote:

I never thought Halo: Reach was amazing-looking, but you can definitely include Forza 3. As for Gears 3, it looks great, but isn't as huge a graphical leap as I was expecting. Still, the game's a long way's away, so I'm sure it will look a lot better in the months to come.

Halo Reach is not just amazing looking, it is also technically amazing. Having 4 player co-op with 20+ incredible intelligent AI on a huge battlefield all doing unique actions is a huge achievement. And also look at the size of Forge World and imagine having to render that entire map in real time.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 8:46 pm

ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:

Halo Reach is not just amazing looking, it is also technically amazing. Having 4 player co-op with 20+ incredible intelligent AI on a huge battlefield all doing unique actions is a huge achievement. And also look at the size of Forge World and imagine having to render that entire map in real time.

The actual number of enemies on screen will be 40. I really hope Bungie doesn't pull a Peter Molyneux on us because it sounds to good to be true lol.
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sat Aug 28, 2010 9:01 pm

TRF wrote:
Alright, I suppose you're right about that, then. Still, it makes you wonder why 360 devs don't use more smoke and mirrors.

Well I have to be real honest here. Alan Wake is guilty of using layers post processing effects and motion blur to hide some of it's flaws. The texture detail was mediocre in alot of areas. Mainly because of how much processing power was used for the real time lighting engine in the game. But yea, most of the flaws from both consoles come from RAM limitations, not necessarily GPU power or disc formats.

And as for Gears 3. Gears 2 already has pretty much the best texture detail of any console game (with God of War 3 being the only exception). So I'd imagine that for Gears 3 they are more focused on improving the lighting and according to some interviews they are. And most of the footage for Gears 3 was off-screen, which isn't the best way to judge the game's graphics. The reason why I'm confident in Gears 3 is because ANY minor improvements from Gears 2 would make it ATLEAST top 5 in graphics.
Back to top Go down
day walker
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer
Fleet Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:02 am

there the same in Power... i read on system wars that the IGN article is PURE BULLSHIT!!! apparently they Fucked up there info... with the Bus-bus Guy going into Detail on how the ps3 and 360 are the same Graphically.
Back to top Go down
ghost23

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Sun Aug 29, 2010 1:39 am

Alan1994 wrote:
ghost23 wrote:
TRF wrote:

The actual number of enemies on screen will be 40. I really hope Bungie doesn't pull a Peter Molyneux on us because it sounds to good to be true lol.

40 on screen!! That's insane.
Back to top Go down
Stoney
Lieutenant, Junior Grade
Lieutenant, Junior Grade

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:51 am

Sorry for bringing this up again. But as you can see from my previous comments I believe that the PS3 can pump out better graphics than the 360. (I know its not all about graphics)

Looking at games like Uncharted 2, GoW 3 and Killzone 2-3. Why haven't we seen anything on the 360 that looks as good as these games? Alan Wake comes pretty close, but not just there.

http://www.cubed3.com/topic/32414everything

According to this video with John Carmack, even though its a 2 year old vid, he says the 360 is more powerful and the only thing that the PS3 has over the 360 is Blu-Ray. All this which console is more powerful hurts my head. (No comments from PC elitists please Razz )
Back to top Go down
Teckno
Command Master Chief Petty Officer
Command Master Chief Petty Officer

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:20 pm

xSTONEYx187x wrote:
Sorry for bringing this up again. But as you can see from my previous comments I believe that the PS3 can pump out better graphics than the 360. (I know its not all about graphics)

Looking at games like Uncharted 2, GoW 3 and Killzone 2-3. Why haven't we seen anything on the 360 that looks as good as these games? Alan Wake comes pretty close, but not just there.

According to this video with John Carmack, even though its a 2 year old vid, he says the 360 is more powerful and the only thing that the PS3 has over the 360 is Blu-Ray. All this which console is more powerful hurts my head. (No comments from PC elitists please Razz )
But but we have te modz!!
Back to top Go down
Alan1994
Chief Warrant Officer 3
Chief Warrant Officer 3

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Mon Aug 30, 2010 7:44 pm

xSTONEYx187x wrote:

You will have developers mindlessly say things like "Gears of War is only possible on X360" or "UC2 is only possible on PS3". Bla Bla. it's bullshit. Like I said, if you honestly care about which console can push more numbers, LOOK UP THE SPECS. You will clearly see that the X360 has the badass GPU, and the PS3 has the Kickass CPU. Both consoles have bottlenecks with RAM and such.

And I hate how people think the PS3 is this powerhouse (even today). There is hardly ALOT of potential left for it (likewise for the X360 though), most games including multiplats have pretty much used most of the GPU resources and have moved to using the Cell's SPUs for graphics processing. I mean you guys are even seeing this now..KZ2, the game that suposedly showed off the PS3's "potentialz" (never gets old) .....Well now KZ3 is in the making and much of the gameplay and trailers don't look THAT much better than KZ2's. Improvements in color pallete maybe but hardly a step up in texture quality and lighting.
Back to top Go down
Pickles
Chief Warrant Officer 4
Chief Warrant Officer 4

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Mon Aug 30, 2010 8:02 pm

Back to top Go down
Lord_Orpheo
Petty Officer 3rd Class
Petty Officer 3rd Class

PostSubject: Re: IGN: PS3 vs 360 hardware    Tue Aug 31, 2010 12:32 am

Good IGN article. Agree.
Back to top Go down